How does local land conservation help us all?
— This article was originally printed in the Winter/Spring 2017 issue of our newsletter, The Twig. See a PDF of the complete newsletter. —
Sycamore’s work to save and restore land is a team effort, and it takes everyone’s involvement. The more people from all backgrounds who join
the movement, the stronger we can be. But how can saving land help you personally, and your community.
- One tree can remove 26 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year, equaling 11,000 miles of car emissions. (Virginia Cooperative Extension: The Value of Landscaping)
- A single tree can intercept 760 gallons of rainwater in its crown, reducing runoff and flooding. (American Forests Organization)
- Erosion control through land stewardship contributes to clean drinking water and healthy agricultural land.
- Proximity to nature preserves and green spaces improves quality of life.
- Forests help control carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and reduce temperatures in cities and around buildings.
- Conservation restores and protects critical habitat for at-risk wildlife and encourages biodiversity.
Disheartening statistics about human-caused climate change are all around us, but we in southern Indiana know how beautiful and wild this land can be, and we know that it’s worth protecting.
Sycamore now protects 9,044 acres of land and has prevented it from being developed, logged, or mistreated. Snow geese and American white pelicans are returning to Goose Pond in larger numbers every year. Successes like these happen because regular people like you are willing to stand up and be a part of something big.
“Sycamore is as much about people as it is about land. With how busy everyone seems to be these days, I think it is important to have natural areas close to home for people to unwind. Sycamore’s passion for protecting Indiana’s natural heritage is contagious and always conducted with excellence and integrity.”
—Steve Gifford, volunteer and former board member
If you’re looking for a way to make a real difference for the environment, please consider giving to Sycamore. 100 percent of your gift will stay locally and have an impact you can see. Simply visit sycamorelandtrust.org/donate. Thank you!